Friday, June 19, 2009

Sandy Fussell's blog

I've linked to it over there in the sidebar - Stories are light.

I love Sandy Fussell's Samurai Kids books. A year or two or so ago I wrote a column about what would happen if Frodo had not been able to jump that huge crack in Moria, if he hadn't been physically able to do it. I had a little rant about how most characters in fantasy novels (for kidlets and adults) are just physically fit and capable, half they time they don't even get tired out.

The Samurai Kids books kind of address this question in my mind, but not in terms of disability or limitations; rather in how working together and recognising your own skills as well as those of the people around you is a great way to success.

The issue of ability is often on my mind, because the Noodle's health situation has some impact on his ability to keep up with other kids. He gets tired out, dangerously so. He can't balance very well, can't jump, can't really run. But his head is filled with risk taking and adventure, just like anyone else. Books fulfil a big part of his need for adventuring. Sandy Fussell's books are some of the ones that make it seem possible for him to really get out there and be a hero.

Plus, they are funny and exciting. That's also cool.

4 comments:

Shelley said...

Have you read any of Garth Nix's Keys to the Kingdom series? The main character basically has to choose between magic immortality and death (they're up to #6 so I guess he'll probably live) - he spends a lot of non-magical time ill/in hospital. The age group - from the little I've read of your blog - would probably work too.

Penthe said...

Yes, good for the age group and great reads. I think a little scary for the Noodle right this minute, though. Something to look forward to in a year. I love Garth Nix. Thanks for the suggestion.

Anonymous said...

good afternoon dudes. I'm honestly into shoes and I had been searching for the sake of that singular model. The prices for the shoes were around 230 dollars everwhere. But for all I base this location selling them for the benefit of half price. I exceptionally like these [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]prada sneakers[/url]. I will definetly buy these. what can you say about it?

BookChook said...

I love that about Samurai Kids too. And I think you make a great point about books allowing us to live vicariously!