Friday, June 11, 2010

Wild women at the National Archives

Well, an exhibition about women at Long Bay gaol between 1915 and 1930, anyway.

I love the Archives. When I finish all the other things I'm doing, I want to go and do some research about Melbourne in the late 1930s - fashion, the kinds of work young women were doing and how much they were paid, education for girls, train fares and that kind of thing.

If only I'd paid more attention to my grandma when I had the chance, eh.

Heh, she'd be horrified at being associated in any way with the women up there in the first sentence. Sorry, Grandma.

4 comments:

Roger said...

Reminds me: My great great grandmother sold grog in the Victoria gold fields (I guess that was some time before this). There's a newspaper clipping about court case about a fight she was involved in which has lurid details of her lifestyle.

Her husband drifted from gold field to gold field often leaving her installed somewhere with the growing tribe of kids. At one stage he went back to collect them all and found one that (counting on fingers) couldn't be his.

It's good to have ancestors I can be proud of.

Penthe said...

Oh, ancestors. Can't be responsible for anything that they got up to.

Or descendants, for that matter, half the time.

seepi said...

I wish I had talked to my grandma more about her childhood too. (Born in 1909, lived in ballarat and Horsham - country Victoria)

Occasionally little facts would come out. Like that she shared a bed with one of her sisters, and that was common then. And that they had Goose for Xmas dinner.

And that horse drawn carts went around watering the street trees of ballarat during a drought.

Sadly her family were always a bit behind the trend:
- They ran a saddlery, but people moved away from horses.
- So they gave it up for a general store, but people moved towards supermarkets.
(There was a step in between, but I can't remember it - it also became a bit redundant.)

Penthe said...

Hi seepi, love the sound of your family - I think my family has a similar relationship to technology! Buying something just before it becomes redundant.

My grandma's family were in Melbourne, and had a timberyard. Grandma always said her father went broke because he could never insist on making people pay during the Depression. Which is a nice way to go bust, really, I suppose.